Antique picture of
QR Code Link to This Post
Meeting of the Trinidad Turf Club, Queen's Park Savannah 1912
Buildings Pictured and accompanied by the historical information about each - include:
Cathedral of the Immaculate Concepcion
Holy Rosary Church
Holy Trinity Cathedral
Fire Brigade Headquarters
The Red House
Sacred Heart Church
Royal Victoria Institute
The Prince's Building
The Grand Stand
Queen's Park Hotel
This is a wonderful piece
Measures approx 27 1/3" by 23 1/2"
Framed with glass.
THE TRINIDAD DERBY STAKES
"The Run the Oak"
BY J. D. COZIER
For Fastest response - please call or text 678-427-219 six
Without any doubt the Trinidad Derby Stakes holds no equal as the most prestigious racing event run off in this country, and one with a long and very colorful history. Sponsored by the House of Angostura from 1988, and since referred to as the Royal Oak Derby Stakes; this Grade I event for the Caribbean's best 3 year olds, was actually first run off in 1902 when Mr. L. Devenish's 'Fox' with Lynch up, defeated three other rivals over 8 furlongs at the 'Big Yard', the Queen's Park Savannah, which was the home of the Derby until 1993, after which racing was centralised at Santa Rosa Park, in Arima.
Between 1902 - 1917 the Derby was run over varying distances from 8 furlongs, to 8 furlongs and 100 yards; the 1917 winner being 'Redrine' with Marcelle up.
From 1918 - 1929; no Derby was contested, however the race was reintroduced in 1930 at the Trinidad Turf Club's Christmas Meeting, again over 8 furlongs, and had been held every year thereafter except in 1979, due to the unfortunate equine influenza outbreak. In 1930, the Derby was won by Stewart Massiah's 'Bridesmaid' trained and ridden by Oliver Penlyn Bennett, defeating 'Flare' and 'Fleet Foot' for a first prize of $1,087.50. 'O.P.' as he was fondly known, subsequently trained and rode two other Derby winners in 'April The 11th (1934) and 'Bachelor's Fort' (1935), and was the trainer on record of 'Danny Boy' (1937), ridden by son Steve, who is still around in racing circles; as well as 'Entry Badge' (1955), one of four Derby winners to sport the famous colours of Cyril de Bracey Barnard of St. Vincent.
During the golden '40's' up to the early '60's', the Christmas Meetings hosted by the Trinidad Turf Club were a haven for foreign competition, particularly from Barbados, and on a few occasions Jamaica. Horses owned in St. Vincent, Guyana (then British Guiana), Grenada and St. Kitts also challenged their locally based counterparts, and emerged with success."